Wednesday, May 17, 2006

May 15 - Peace Officers Memorial Day


Quote of the day: "I thank those who wear the nation's uniform for working hard to make America a peaceful place for those of us who live here." President George W. Bush

May 15th marked the 25th anniversary for the FOP sponsored memorial service held on the lawn of the Capitol. It was an amazing trip to the Capitol. I donned my dress uniform and got on the subway in Arlington. At each stop, the train cars began to fill with uniformed officers from around the country. At the Capitol South station, the doors opened and a sea of blue flowed from the cars.

We made our way to the lawn, passing by the intense security and began milling about on the lawn. We formed a line of honor for the survivors and I stood, geographically appropriately, between the California Highway Patrol and New Jersey. As at the candlelight vigil, bus after bus of survivors pulled up and we stood at attention as they walked into the VIP area. There were the usual songs and speeches, but the highlight for the survivors was the personal greeting for each of them by the President.

Then came the roll call of names. The names were read by state, with all officers from each state saluting for the duration of the readings. Watching Chicago's Officers and Color Guard, LAPD's 60+ Officers and NYPD's 100+, it felt pretty lonely being the only uniformed officer from Colorado saluting as Donny Young's name was read.

It's been an amazing week.
I will be ever grateful to the friend that planted the Police Week seed.
I am indebted to all those who sponsored my ride and helped the Tour raise the million dollars that it did this year.
I also want to thank all of my friends & family who've supported my efforts in many different ways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your words, spirit and commitment have truly moved me. Thank you for your pictures, your updates and your fine representation of the Boulder Police Department.