Sunday, May 15, 2016

Chance Meetings


In 2007, I took this picture of Bill and Barb Lyons.  Bill was doing support and Barb was riding for her son, Oregon State Trooper Scott Lyons.  Scott was killed on September 2, 1997 and Barb's last conversation with Scott was over the upcoming Cycle Oregon event they planned to ride.  Instead, Barb rode to Washington, DC to honor Scott.

Through Facebook, I knew that Bill and Barb were going to be at the Memorial for this year's Police Unity Tour arrival.  I was hoping to see them when we came in.  But finding someone in the huge crowds that were gathered at the arrival was not an easy task, so I missed them.  

Saturday night I ended up, as usually happens this week, wandering back to the Memorial to listen to the Emerald Society gathering celebrate the legacy of Irish immigrants who have filled the ranks of public safety.  While walking around the Memorial, I ran into Kim Weigand, mother of fallen Officer Michael Weigand.  My friend Ian rode the 2009 PUT for Michael and I remember Ian talking about him.  I introduced myself to Kim and she talked about how much she appreciates all Ian did for her.  We took a selfie and sent it to Ian, who responded that he still wears the pin Kim gave him to remember Michael.

I was getting ready to leave after the pipers played Amazing Grace.  I went by the west side of the Memorial and spotted a familiar face.  
Barb plans to ride again with us in 2017 to mark 20 year's since Scott's death.  My conversations last night at the Memorial with both Kim and Barb reminded me of the impact that the Police Unity Tour has on the surviving families.  It has been an honor and a pleasure to have opportunities like these to help the survivors and make sure their fallen heroes are not forgotten.



No comments: