Thursday, May 09, 2013

PUT 2013 Day 1 - It's not about the bike.

Some of you have seen my new-to-me-bike that I'm riding this year.  It's a Surly Steamroller, pretty much the same as the my daily ride to work and the bike I've ridden in all but one of my 8 Police Unity Tours.  This one is a little different.  Thanks to Spectrum Powderworks in Colorado Springs, the frame is a beautiful black with a thin blue line, the PUT logo and We Ride For Those Who Died on the downtube.  

But the PUT is not about the bike.  It's about Those Who Died.  2012 was a rotten year for Law Enforcement in Colorado, but an exceptionally good year nationwide.  The fewest number of Officers killed nationwide since 1959, but the most in Colorado since 1974.

I'm riding with six bracelets on my wrists for the Colorado Officers killed last year.  Since it's a new-to-me-bike, I'm still a bit sensitive to odd rattles and noises.  In the first few miles of today's ride, I figured out that the rattle was not the bike, just bracelets for Matt, Jeremy and Celena banging together as we bounced around the rough roads of NJ.





Its not about the bike, but the Officers who died and those who remember them.

Stats for the Day:
Miles ridden:  53
Inches of rain:  more than what falls annually on the riders from Las Vegas
Individuals who missed the point complaining about their bus being delayed:  1

No comments: